wheel bearing woes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: wheel bearing woes
From: Abadeker@aol.com
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 1996 21:57:20 -0400
Reeking of hypoid and carrying an MGA 1600 rear wire wheel hub wrapped in
newspaper, I throw my questions into this vast reservoir of knowledge and
cross my fingers.
Question A: Now that I've pulled the hub with one of those Iron Age slide
hammers and "drifted" the wheel bearing out with a punch, and the oil seal
ditto, what sort of force, applied how, should I exert to get the seal,
bearing and hub back into position without damaging them? The usual manual
advice of "reassemble in reverse order" isn't much help.
Question B: How do you determine whether the bearing is OK or scrap? Looks OK
from the outside, rotates reasonably well, but I'm not twirling it at
whatever rpm.
Question C: The oil seal I removed was rubber seated in a metal retainer,
with a spring around the innermost rubber that grasped the axle housing; the
replacement from Moss appears to have a metal core but came with no retainer.
Is the retainer now unnecessary?
Question D (Sorry to be so longwinded): The manual makes much of a spacer
between the bearing's outer race and the outer hub that grasps the half axle;
I see no spacer, yet the wire wheel hub appears to have a spacer-like ridge
cast into it, around which the O-ring fits. Should I stop looking for a
spacer?
Thanks and that's all. Also thanks to those who commiserated over door
fitting; mechanicals have superseded body for the moment though.