Re: 72 Midget Speedo Woes (again)

To: Chuck and Nancy Ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>
Subject: Re: 72 Midget Speedo Woes (again)
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 19:49:39 -0500
Chuck and Nancy Ciaffone wrote:

> Hi all ... yet again!
>
> I just replaced the BROKEN speedometer pinion housing on
> my 72 Midget.  The speedo needle was swinging wildly.  When
> I fould the pinion housing broken where the cable threads on,
> I was sure I had my culprit. So I got a replacement hosuing.
>
> Although the new housing does fix the broken hosing problem,
> it does NOT fix the wild speedo needle problem.  Any ideas?  Under
> acceleration, the speedo needle actually drops.  When I let up on the
> gas, the needle jumps back up. Sounds like windup, but the cable looks
> good.  Hmmm!  HELPPP!
>
> chuck ciaffone

Chuck-
        I might tend to still suspect windup in the cable.  Put the lower end
of the cable in an electric drill.  Try to keep the cable in as near
normal position as possible.  Run the drill and see if you are getting
the needle swing.  If so, try another cable.  If the needle still
swings, then the problem is within the speedo itself - probably the
magnet assembly contacting the drum.  You can take the speedo apart for
a visual check.

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX