Re: TD doorfit

To: stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TD doorfit
From: bleckstein@monmouth.com
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 1996 16:03:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Sep 1996, stevet@hbp.com (Steve Tritle) wrote:
>Is there an easy way to fit doors properly after a rebuild? My doors
>don't fit too well.
>Steve Tritle  Hagerstown, MD

Now you know why they are called suicide doors!

The story goes that on the assembly line T type doors were kept in three sizes,
small, medium, and large. We don't have that luxury. Actually the solution is
not easy.

Since the body flexes ( don't seal up the seam on the rocker under the door as
some body shops do) the best answer is to place shims when mounting the body to
the frame, and check door alignment. Second the door may be warped and requires
an adjustable brace inside the door behind the interior pannel ( see A. Bonds
reply)  Between these two adjustments everything should fit.

The easy and incorrect way ,if the fit is close ,is to shim the door lock so it
reaches the second click. Abingdon Spares sells them in the shape of the door
lock at a cheap price.

If the door doesn't go to the second click, it is dangerous. A car with a  door
not going to the second click is failed automaticaly on the Safety Fast
Inspection conducted by the NEMGT Register.

Last and cheapeast fix used by hundreds of T owners is a bungee cord from the
door lock to the support under the dash.

Mike Leckstein