Re: MGB Serial #'s

To: PsychoDad7@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB Serial #'s
From: tiltonj@erols.com (Jay Tilton)
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 14:29:00 +0600
PsychoDad7@aol.com wrote:

>A friend of mine recently bought an MGB.  The car is registered as a '65 and
>the body # on the inner fender is MGB 059195.  The engine # is 18V890AE-L744,
>but the VIN on the pink slip is DRS 82806 - shouldn't this start with a GHN?
> The ID plate for the VIN is missing - just two holes left in front of the
>radiator, where it was.

Egad.  What a nightmare.

The body number looks about right for a 65, assuming the bodies were
numbered sequentially (dicey).  The engine number should be along the lines
of 18GB.  The 18V890 was swiped from a rubber-bumpered car.  No clue on what
the pink-slip VIN means.  Yes, it should be GHN, probably GHN3Lxxxxx if it's
really a 65.

I recall that there's an address you can mail to request the factory record
information on an MGB.  I don't know if they can work from only a body
number, which is the only thing we know is original to the car.

Does anybody have that address?
--
Jay Tilton  |  tiltonj@erols.com