Coolant Boiling point (was Freeze plug for MG TC)

To: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com, homestay@infolearn.com.au
Subject: Coolant Boiling point (was Freeze plug for MG TC)
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 1996 08:30:44 -0400
> From homestay@infolearn.com.au Tue Sep 24 01:06 EDT 1996
>
> I think the formula you are looking for is that for Charles Law, which from
> my old physics days goes something like:
>                         P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2
>
> Where P = Pressure; V = Volume and T = Temperature
>
> Given that the volume is constant, and atmospheric pressure at sea level is
> 32 psi we have for a system running at 15 psi ( which I think is pretty
> high)

15 PSI is very common in the US.

>                         32/212 = (32 + 15)/T2
>
>                         So T2 = 47 x 212/32 = 311 degrees F.
>
> Any advance on 311 degrees?

Paul,

I think that Charles Law applies to gasses and atmospheric pressure at
sea level is 14.7 PSI. I asked around and found from a Thermodynamic
text's steam tables that the boiling point for a 14 PSI cap is 248 F
(120 C) 19 PSI is 257 F (125 C)

The answer to my question of the 7 PSI cap (for pure water) is about
231 F.

It seems that antifreeze/coolant does in fact raise the boiling point
10 to 15 degrees F. I wonder what it does to the heat capacity.

- -Mark