Re: Wirnig Harness

To: Skitrigger@aol.com
Subject: Re: Wirnig Harness
From: TRIFARI@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 13:24:13 -0400

<<
 John
 Thanks for you help - I now have everthing working but one backup light and
the license plate lights.  I will check the license plate lights over the
weekend.  I am down to the horns.  Old harness only had one connector for
each horn and there is no ground clip on the horns.  New harness has two
connectors for each horn - One all purple and one purple with black trace.
 When I hook up the pruple with black the horns stay on and nothing with the
purple one.  I assume the pruple one is the ground.

Bob--

NO   Black is ground.  Purple is HOT and fused, and is used for accessories
you want to run with teh key off eg horns.  The horn button is in the ground
line.  So, the circuit looks like this: purple to power the horns/purple with
black to the horn button/black to a conector block/block to ground.  Black is
always ground.

Your purple wire should be HOT.  If not, check fuse #6 or the connector block
where the wire branches off to the horns and the run-on control valve.
 Re-wire the horns with purple IN and the purple with black grounded.  If
they work, I would suggets you drop the steeting wheel again and look at the
wiring under teh plastic cowling at the switch.  (then jump the switch to see
if you have horns)

A primer in Lucas wiring:
                   Brown:  hot, unswitched, unfused
                   Purple:  hot, unswitched, fused
                    White:  switched, unfused (eg fuel pump)
                    Green:  switched, fused (eg accessories)
                   Blue:     headlight
                    Yellow: generator/alterantor
                   Red:      running lights/panel lights
                   black:    ground

>>>Option is to insulate the horn and ground to the horn this would be a
pain.  There must be another option with some sort of jumper wire. I tried
with a lead from the purple to the Battery ground post this didn't work

You should have shorted the line if you did this.  I wold suggest that the
purple line is not connected to the fuse.  Again.  check the fuse block and
teh connecotr between the hrons and the run-on control valve.

>>>wasn't going to leave it on the ground post just test.  Any suggestions ?
 For your info I got the Dash and Main harness from a company / junk yard in
called British Miles in Morrisville, Pa. order # (800)-WE FIX MG.  Very
knowledgable and used cost almost a 1/3 of Moss's new price.  The harness was
in much better shape than mine was before the reheostat shorted out and
started burning.
 Thanks for your help so far

 Bob Triggs
 '78 MGB (Driveable with a hand held horn)

What rheostat was burning?  The only rheostat I can thi nk of in an MGB is
the panel light control switch. Hope this all helps.

John Trifari   1980 MGB/1955 Healey BN1