Re: 15" Wheels on MGB

To: John77577@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 15" Wheels on MGB
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 1996 18:05:07 -0800
John, you asked:

> Could someone tell me about the feasability of using 15"  low profile tires
> on 6" wide wheels on  64B.

I'm pretty sure that the Costello V-8 conversions of recent years
used 195-60 x 15 tires on 5.5 x 15 alloy wheels. Considering the
tread width of a 195, I wouldn't imagine an extra half inch of wheel
would make much difference if you pay attention to off-set /
back-spacing.

OTOH, you could just replace your gearbox with an overdrive unit. My
'67 BGT is  running 195-60 x 14s on Minilite clone alloys with a '78
overdrive gearbox. Acceleration is great (for a B) and I haven't run
into any top end problems keeping up with freeway traffic (which runs
about 75-ish here in Seattle, at least early on Saturday mornings).
Then, again, I haven't made the trek to Montana yet.

Regards,
Jerry Causey