Re: Parts suppliers?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Parts suppliers?
From: "Kai Radicke" <mowogmg@dynanet.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1991 10:36:07 -0400
I second this:

I try and buy things from as many differenjt companies as I can.
I get cheaper prices and better service.  The only problem is you
have to keep track of all your orders so you know what you ordered
from whom.

Clarke Spares Restorations is very local for me (20 minutes away),
Todd is a nice guy.  Even though I don't own an MGA I would definetly
buy from him if I had to, he has lots of neat little nut and bolt kits for
the MGA.

Kai Radicke -- mowogmg@dynanet.com
1966 MGB -- http://www.dynanet.com/~mowogmg

> From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@flash.net>
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Parts suppliers?
> Date: Friday, October 04, 1996 5:29 PM
>
> Who is the "best" often depends on what you're looking for and whether
you
> are willing to trade convenience for price.  Moss is a good place to find
> something with little effort, but Moss has to get their stuff somewhere!
> Often if you can find Moss's supplier you not only get more personalized
> service but much better prices.  Moss has to make a profit, so when they
> buy from that supplier they mark it up for their profit, plus the
carrying
> cost of keeping the thing in inventory.  For example, they sell a body
tub
> for a TD for about $8,000.  They buy these things from England where
there
> are several suppliers.  If you buy it yourself straight from England you
> may have to wait a few weeks for delivery and take the risk of an
> international hassle if it's not right, but you can get it for about half
> of the price, including shipping.  Similarly, Clarke Spares has a large
> number of esoteric MGA parts and is a big supplier to Moss.  However, I
get
> much better prices and service from Clarke, because he is not so large
and
> I am "buying direct".
>
> Personally, I try to spread my business around as much as possible.  I
> would hate to see Moss become any more dominant than they are, because
then
> you would really see prices escalate and service deteriorate.  Not
because
> Moss is evil, but just because monopolies naturally evolve that way.
Have