Re: Tac's and speedo,s

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tac's and speedo,s
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 07 Oct 1996 17:05:05 -0500
In <199610072041.OAA12630@triumph.cs.utah.edu>, G.GABLE              wrote:
>Quick question.  I have finally gotten a 52-TD back on the road.  The
>shake down showed two obvious problems.  The speedometer registers
>30mph at about 15mph and 90mph at 35hph, and a lot of noise seems to
>be generated from the connection to the transmission.  On the other
>hand the tachometer displays nothing, althought the cable is
>spinning.  It does not seem to be getting all the home in the tach
>housing.  Any Ideas before I pull the dash and wiring apart.

Tachs are usually pretty reliable.  If it is spinning at the
dashboard end but the meter is not registering, then the cable may
not be seated properly.  That's a matter of making sure that the
square peg goes in the square hole.  If you have messed for a while
and it still doesn't work, your tach may be shot.

The speedos read notoriously high on TD's, but yours seems
exceptionally optimistic.  Mine usually gives about 65 at 50 mph.  I
have resolved to fix it one day, but I kind of like the illusion of
speed.  If there is a lot of racket, your cable could be periodically
hanging up.  The entire cable is fairly easily removed (messy job,
tho) and you can then take the core out of the housing.  Look for
frayed regions.  If the core is not perfectly smooth, you need a new
cable.

Among other places, you can get gauges repaired at Nisonger's in Long
Island (Mamaroneck) NY.  Address in monster list.  No commercial
connection--I just have found that they do very nice work.

                        A. B. Bonds