Re: Changing MGB oil seals...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Changing MGB oil seals...
From: Wayne Kube <wkube@iadfw.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 19:58:53 -0500
Dirk de Boer wrote:

> I couldn't see how I should compress the valve springs
> on the MGB engine. The point is that the valve springs on an MGB are double,
> so what do you do? I have a Deslisle valve spring compressor which hooks
> onto the valve springs and then pushes down onto the valve cup so you can
> remove the keeper circlip and the keepers. Getting the spring compressors
> hooks in deep enough so they can reach the inner valve spring seems
> impossible. Any tips, John? Anybody on the list ever done this?
>
> Dirk, with a '66 B which smokes on start-up.

Dirk-
        I did this on mine with help from my wife.  Can't say it was
fun.  Just
hook the hooks on the outer spring - when you press down on the valve
cup, it will also compress the inner spring.  Just keep your face and
other parts of your anatomy that you would like to stay intact away from
above the spring.  Got a couple of dents in my garage ceiling from
zinging springs when the hooks slipped off.  If I had it to do over
again, I would get the valve spring compressor that goes under the head
and pressed the valve head on one side and the spring cup on the other.

Be careful!

Wayne Kube
'79B
Plano, TX