Re: Roll bars, yea or nay

To: joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com
Subject: Re: Roll bars, yea or nay
From: Stephen Peter Mirams <mirams@bf.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 12:22:37 +1000 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Oct 1996 joseph_cianciotti@ccmail_gw.gmosf.com wrote:

> The previous owner of my car installed a roll bar.  Personally I hate it.
>What
> purpose does it serve other than destroying the lines of the car?  Is it
> possible to roll an MGB?  I assume a roll bar-ectomy would just involve
>removing
> the bolts.  But how do I then plug the holes?  Thanks
>
> Joseph
> 67 Roadster

Joseph,

Any car, has the ability to roll if it is sideswiped by some idiot
running a red light. Although roll bars are not the most attractive add
on to an MG, they serve a strong safety purpose. The windscreen isn't
going to protect your (and your passenger's) head in the event that your
car does roll, by accident or not. If you are unhappy with the look of
your roll bar, look around at the alternatives. (Chrome , black painted,
leather covered etc.) I have a custom T***mph TR leather covered roll bar
in my Midget which serves its purpose and doesn't look all that bad. At
least I know I'm safe!

Keep it for your family and friend's peace of mind (Safety Fast!)

Cheers,

Steve

69 Midget (with roll bar)