RE: Designed-in huge vacuum leak?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Designed-in huge vacuum leak?
From: "Lee Daniels, daniels@tamu.edu" <DANIELS@alchem.chem.tamu.edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 9:47:54 -0500 (CDT)
I said:

>It's a '77 MGB:
>
>You know that hose that goes from the carb to the breather tube (coming out
>of the engine side cover beneath the manifolds)?  It seems that you need
>3/8" (I.D.) on the carb side, but 1/2" on the breather tube.

and CHRISTOPHER REICHLE sez:

>The breather should be connected to the air filter assembly not the vacuum
>side of the carb.

The only reference I can find that shows this hose is the Moss catalog, and
it's hooked up as I described above.  If the breather *doesn't* go to the
big port on the carb, what *does* go there?  (BTW, there aren't any ports
on my air filter assy.)  There were a lot of under-bonnet changes after
1976.

>The large port on the intake manifold is for your brake booster.

I do have this connected properly.

Lee M. Daniels   Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding   Texas A&M
 daniels@tamu.edu            (409) 845-3726          Fax (409) 845-9351
 '74 TR6  '77 MGB