MGA valve clearances and timing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA valve clearances and timing
From: "Steve R. Zale S." <schoenbo@rococo.colorado.edu>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 1996 09:25:47 -0700
Hello everyone!  I'm new to this list and appologize if these topics
have been covered before.  I am in the process of going thru a recently
bought '61 MGA Mk II Coupe and found that the the "Official Workshop
Manual" states the valve rocker clearance as "running...  .015 in.
(.38mm.)(cold) on page 14 of the General Data section while the metal
plate fixed between the carbs has the same clearance but "hot."  Hot and
cold make a significant difference in the setting on my motorcycle and I
assume the same to be true on the car.  I just don't want to set them
too tight.
    Ignition timing is stated in the same manual as 5 degrees B.T.D.C.
static timing.  I noticed that 20 degrees B.T.D.C. dynamic timing is
recommended in a tech column I read while on the way to discovering this
list.  Is this O.K.?  I wanted to play it safe so I set mine to 5
degrees B.T.D.C. dynamic (strobe light) with the vacuum line
disconnected and idle cranked down to about 600 RPM so the centrifugal
advance wouldn't be a factor.  I'm not sure which is right or wrong but
the car seems to run smoothly.  All advice appreciated and thanks for a
great list!
                                Steve Roseboom
                                Boulder, Colorado
                                "61 MGA Mk II Coupe

P.S. Anyone got 4 hubcaps for sale or know the best place to get 'em?