Re: MGB windshield frame rubbers

To: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Subject: Re: MGB windshield frame rubbers
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 08:21:12 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Jack Emery wrote:

> I am curious if anyone has found a better way to install the windshield base
> rubber seal and what is the best rubber lubricant to do the job.  We have
> done a bunch and none have been easy.  So far, the best method is with the
> glass installed and feeding the seal across from side to side working the
> end in with a screwdriver.  Not a good job for us arthritic old coots.

We just got finished doing this... Joy dish soap, two people, and gentle
rubbing (oh, this sounds >bad<)...

Basically you lubricate the channel well with dish soap and feed the seal
in from one side.  Remember that you can't push a rope and that pulling
too hard will stretch and tear the rubber.  Compress the loose end as far
as it can go into the channel, and massage the compressed portion of the
rubber forward.  You can make 1/2 to 1" at a time this way.

The person on the feed-in end is key since the rubber has to be aligned
going in (and to handle the weight of the loose end flopping around).  He
can also soap several inches of the loose end at a time.... too much soap
will make everything very messy and slippery though.

We don't have a shop and so no bench vise, which makes this really tough.
We did it with the channel off the glass to avoid collateral damage.

I plan to do a write-up on the last month when I get a chance.  The car
has been through a lot and looks REALLY good now.

I don't see where the screwdriver comes in, though, we just used our hands.

John M. Trindle | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB DSP     | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
"3.  The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets.  (The
know-when-to-quit law.) - Jack Neafsey"