Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters

To: mgs@autox.team.net, todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil
Subject: Re: [MGB] fuel mixture with K&N filters
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 15:13:14 -0400
> Bert Otten writes:
> >
> > Recently I purchased the much appraised MGB K&N filter set .

Todd Mullins replies

> Can somebody explain this to me?  I thought the whole purpose of the
> Constant Velocity carb design was to maintain the mixture at a certain
> velocity (to improve low-rpm power),
- -snip- -

> Now a set of K&N filters will allow more air per unit time to flow, but
> they cannot increase the oxygen content of that air (can they?).

Yes! The name K&N comes from the fact that they filter out K
(potassium) and N (nitrogen) if you use the special oil they sell. Now
there isn't much potassium in air but there is 80% Nitrogen. After the
air goes through the filter the nitrogen is removed so for the same
volume of air there is more oxygen. Thus you need richer needles.

Some people will lead you to believe that the K stands for Kim Chee because
these filters are used on SU carbs. This is untrue. The potassium filtering is
just a by product of the design.

- -Mark "Where's Will when we need him" Jurras