Brake Fluid

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake Fluid
From: roethler@cadetmail.uscga.edu (Brust)
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 13:22:02 -0400
Be very careful which fluid you use!!!

  Some recommend silicon fluid, but be very careful when making your
decision to use this fluid.  The advantage of silicon is that it does not
absorb water like regular brake fluid, so supposedly you wouldn't have to
bleed brakes as often (how often do you do it anyway?).  It also doesn't
hurt the NATURAL rubber brake parts found in all MG brake systems.  The
disadvantage is that it makes an already soft brake pedal even softer.  The
other disadvantage is that when deciding to convert, you must FULLY flush
the entire system to change it.  When silicon and regular brake fluid
combine, a solid precipitate falls out of solution-- meaning bad stuff.
So even a trace of the regular brake fluid could cause problems with the
brakes.

  Using regular brake fluid other than Castrol GT LMA will also cause
problems.  I alluded before to the natural rubber brake seals, well, for
some reason, other fluids are not compatible with the rubber and cause it
to disintegrate over a long period of time-- complete brake failure
probably won't happen, but you will experience the telltale leak from the
rear drums.  I have never had it happen to the front disks, but had to
rebuilt about 5 rear cylinders before I figured it out.  I don't sell
Castrol or anything, its just the only one that I know doesn't kill natural
rubber.

I hope this helps you a little----

Brust Roethler
64 Midget
69 Midget

"For a dreamer lives forever, and a toiler dies in a day"
--I dunno

"He who sheds his blood with me today, shall be my brother."
Wm. Shakespeare
CGA RUGBY