Re: TECHNICAL RESPONSES #2

To: VRHS43A@prodigy.com, MGS@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TECHNICAL RESPONSES #2
From: MOMBARI@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 01:44:10 -0400
Hello, I would like to ask about transmission oil. There is a lot of
reference to the use of engine oil. I understand in modern cars oils can vary
quite a bit, i.e. Izusu Trooper-30 wt, Mazda FWD ATF, in Mitsubishis, our
shop recommends 75-80wt GL4. Now I understand that MGs use engine oil, but
can you recommend the proper fluid for my 52 Austin Somerset? The original
service manual recommends 90wt, just as Mitsubishis manual does, but after
several complaints of hard shifting and grinding of gears, we've chosen the
75-80 wt. Would this be true for my Austin? When I drained it, it had 90wt in
it, although I have never been able to drive the car. Do you recommend, as
with MGs, the use of engine oil instead of the recommended gear oil? Thanx
for your help.....roland.........52 Austin........73 MGB