RE: Damper oil replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Damper oil replacement
From: Bill Kostka <bkostka@rgv01.rgv.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 13:03:17 PDT
In a note, Jay Quinn wrote:

> Is it recommended to replace the damper oil with fresh mineral oil?  Or just
> top off?  Is seems that the stuff can get pretty old and worn out.

Maybe I am using the wrong stuff in my B--it never lasts long enough to
turn color, get old, wear out, ...

I have been using straight 20 weight oil which makes it run well when the
damper is full.  The problem is that it really doesn't last long.  I have
to refill at least once a month and I should do it every other week.  BTW
I do drive it almost every day and when I notice it start missing when
accelerating from a stop, I know it's time to refill the damper.

I tried 20W50 and it really ran worse with more missing and stumbling.

> Whats the standard service around that part?

I'm curious too about what is recommended and what works best.

> Jay Quinn    -     '62 Austin-Healey MKII Sprite
> jpquinn@cyberramp.net
> www.cyberramp.net/~jpquinn
> PGP Encryption Key Upon Request

Bill Kostka
'77B

--
|            /  /                     Bill Kostka              |