RE: Dash Pot Oil/Marvel Mystery Oil

To: Randy Rees <randyr@starwave.com>
Subject: RE: Dash Pot Oil/Marvel Mystery Oil
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 13:17:11 -0700 (PDT)
On Tue, 22 Oct 1996, Randy Rees wrote:

> Dashpot oil is not used for lubrication, but as a dampening medium. It
> would not help your engine in any way to add MM Oil to it.

It does if the dashpot is leaking :)

> >From:        jpquinn@cyberramp.net[SMTP:jpquinn@cyberramp.net]
> >Subject:     Dash Pot Oil/Marvel Mystry Oil
> >
> >When I put out a post on Damper (Shock) Oil, I wasn't very clear and folks
> >were responding about dash pot oil and the wt and such.  (The general
> >suggestion was use a good Motorcycle fork oil)

NoNoNo!  Motorcycle fork oil goes in the shocks, not the dashpots, because
it has antifoaming agents and seal swellers in it.  See John Twist's post.

> >Well, this got me to thinking, what about using Marvel Mystry Oil?  Ya know,
> >that red stuff in a red can.

Many people use that in their carbs, so it can't be too bad.
I haven't tried it.  If it is thinner than 20W50, the carb piston can move
up faster when you gun it and you will get less of an accelerator pump
effect, i.e. the mixture will get enriched less as you accelerate.

                                                           '67 Sprite