Re: Diesel 1800 MG -- was full moon !!!

To: gramf@digisys.net
Subject: Re: Diesel 1800 MG -- was full moon !!!
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 01:39:53 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-22 23:18:56 EDT, gramf@digisys.net (Paul/Ian Graham)
writes:

<< I was helping a friend with his Pipe pulling machine (for irrigation
systems).  He had just spent $300 for a new water pump and needed help
putting it in.  The pump looked suspiciously familiar.  When he pulled the
shroud off the machine, there sat an 1800 cc diesel powered MG motor.  The
diferences were a cross flow head, fuel injection, and an oil cooler that
exited the block through the preesure relief valve hole.  He was really
pissed about the price of a water pump from Vicky Brit. >>

I've been waiting for this one for months.  In many past discussions of oil
flow paths in the B-series engine I have noted the following:  External oil
line to the filter on the right side of the block, the internal bypass path
where the tube fitting goes into the right rear corner of the block, and the
extra plugged port on the left rear corner of the block just above the
pressure relief port.  Not a matter of coincidence I assume, the places where
the fittings and plugs screw into the engine block and filter housing all use
the same threads, and the fittings are interchangable.

I knew there had to be applications for these engines where the ports on the
right side of the engine may be plugged and the filter and/or cooler were
ported out of the left side of the block.  I had envisioned perhaps marine
applications where the engine would be located be in a narrow cavity below
deck, or stationary engine applications.  Stationary engines typically run a
relatively low fixed speeds.  At 1800 rpm there's little need for a pressure
relief valve, so no problem piping the oil externally from the relief valve
location and back into the block at the port just above.

I am absolutely delighted to hear of the diesel MG engine.  It would be neat
to see one of these things parked alongside of a Ford Ferguson tractor and an
MG Magnet sedan, but unfortunately, I'm not sure that the stationary pump
would qualify as an MG variant at your local British car show (no gearbox or
wheels you know).  Any other unusual applications of MG engines out there?

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA (not yet four wheel drive)