Duty and Taxes

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Duty and Taxes
From: Bob Hamilton <hamilton@cast.navnet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 09:36:58 -0300
Owen,

        I thought we in Canada were taxed heavily, 46% is absurd! The
antique and
classic car clubs in Canada were able to persuade the Government to exempt duty
on imported antique cars and spare parts for our cherished vehicles,
if they are over 25 years old. I think it is about time your clubs banded
together
to do the same thing.

Bob

>I was thinking of ordering some parts from the UK and have just been
>informed by Australian Customs that on any parts for motor vehicles produced
>after 1963 Sales Tax and Import Duty of 46% must be paid on the invoice value.
>
>Made me wonder whether other governments, particularly the American,
>Canadian, New Zealand, are also into extorting their population of LBC lovers?
>
>Are there any Australians on the list who have found ways to 'minimise' the
>duty and tax?
>
>simply curious
>
>Owen Michaels-Hardy, Sydney Australia
>1980 TR7 FHC Sprint

Robert A. C. Hamilton, Waverley, Nova Scotia, Canada
E-Mail: hamilton@cast.navnet.net / rhamilto@fox.nstn.ca
The "Proper" Sunbeam Man!
1953 Alpine MK I, 1954 Talbot 90 MK IIA DHC & Saloon
Sunbeams at: BATANS: http://www.ccn.cs.dal.ca/Recreation/BATANS/index.html