MGF & salt water

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGF & salt water
From: Ceecpa@gnn.com (Charles Edwards)
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 09:11:38
My grandfather built fishing boats that plyed the Chesapeake Bay.
He used cast-iron automobile engines that were cooled by sea water
since the installation of a radiator was impractical.  The engines
lasted for many years, so destruction of your MGF by salt water is
not inevitable.

Cleanup should start immediately, however.  The greatest damage
will be done to the sheetmetal.  I recommend removing all the
upholstery for thorough drying.  Then spray all boxed areas with
kerosene via drilled holes, if necessary.  Drain the engine sump
and flush the engine with kerosene, too.  That'll hold things for a
little while, then you have to get serious.

Alternatively, you could determine the cars value immediately
before the storm and subtract therefrom its value now.  That'll
give you the basis for an insurance claim.

Good luck.