SAFETY ALERT ! Holding Plug leads

To: mgs@autox.team.net, 73641.3111@CompuServe.COM
Subject: SAFETY ALERT ! Holding Plug leads
From: Simon.MATTHEWS@st.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 96 09:46:27 +0100
> Building on what Marcus said, and assuming your points are properly set, if
you
> can get a good blue-white spark by holding the HT coil wire about 1/4 inch
from
> the block the problem must be from the cap to the plugs. If none of the plugs
> spark the problem will most likely be a poor connection from HT lead to dist.
> cap or the rotor is not functioning.

I would certainly not advise "holding the HT coil wire". If there is a problem
with the insulation, you will have 30,000 volts going down your arm and it will
not be pleasant! Rest the lead, or trap it in a mole grip and then rest the mole
grip somewhere.

Don't hold anything connected to the HT, even if you think it is insulated.

Incidentally, this has reminded me of more Brit/American terms:

Brit   /      'mericun
King Lead  /   Coil Wire ??
Mole Grips /   Vice grips ??
Indicator  /   <I never did learn the American for this>

Regards,
      Simon