Re: Soft plug blowout on MGA

To: MarKap2032@aol.com
Subject: Re: Soft plug blowout on MGA
From: "Mike Brecher" <futrclas@dns.dallas.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 05:48:27 -0600
> I used a brass drift and a standard hammer and a prayer.   I've put
> about 1500 miles on the car since then with no problem.
> Don't have a CLUE why these plugs will suddenly blow with no
> warning in an almost new engine.  Corrosion or weakening of the plug is not a
> factor here.   In old engines you often get corrosion leaks but the entire
> plug rarely blows out.....Any thoughts out there?

Just one: S#$% happens!
Seriously, your machinist probably didn't give that particular plug
the last blow that was needed to deform it sufficiently to grip the
ledge in the block.  with the dished (as opposed to the cupped) core
plugs, it is a judgement call as to when to stop beating it into
submission.  Your guy just missed the mark.
BTW, in my experience, #3 Permatex will do better in this
application.

Mike