Re: Jaguar XK8

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, BritCarMag@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Jaguar XK8
From: Jay Nemeth-Johannes <jayj@hpislj.lvld.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 96 14:26:34 -0700
Hi Gary,

  Good note on the XK8.  Looking forward to seeing the full article.

  I was wondering if you had seen any info on MGF's here in the US?
The reason I ask is that the Colorado Chapter of the VTR ran into a
pair last August on the top of Mt Evans, just west of Denver.

  Mt Evans is the highest paved road in North America at just over
14,000 ft altitude.  The VTR was running a tour to the top.  To
everyone's surprise they ran into a crew at the top running two MGFs
and a new Rover sedan.  The folks running the cars were quite
friendly, and after the initial shock of having 30 British cars
descend upon their "secret" testing, admited they were here to do
climate extreme testing.  Thay had started two days before in Death
Valley.  They mentioned that this was the only place in the world
where they could go from -100 ft to 14,000 ft elevation in two days
drive. The Rover was in european trim, but they stated that the MGFs
were in full fedralized trim.  They wouldn't say much more than this,
but did allow club members to take a few pictures.  I've seen the
photos. Too bad the Rover idsn't coming as well. It also looks like a
nice package.

In the following week, MGCC/Rocky Mountain Centre members reported two
different MGFs spotted in the Denver metro area.  They were different
colors than the Mt Evans cars.

Even if BMW/Rover hasn't made a decision to import the MGF, they are
apparantly at least covering their bases so they can do a quick reaction.

  Regards,
    Jay