RE: Spin on oil filter question

To: <joseph_cianciotti@ns_gmosf.gmosf.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spin on oil filter question
From: <larry.g.unger@lmco.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 14:15:58 -0500
>>My engine has the old-fashioned hanging cannister with a separate filter
>>element.  I've heard this makes changing the oil a collosal mess.  I'd like
>>change this with a spin-on filter adapter of some type.  From the catalogs
>>it
>>looks like an inverted spin-on would be the most accessible for future oil
>>changes.  Can anyone make a suggestion or recommendation?  Thanks.

Inverted spin-on adapters were fitted to 'B's from '68-70 so you should
be able
to pickup a used one ... I found one at Carlise ... Moss has the
"Inverted Oil
filter Head" on sale for $69.95  8^0

I believe that from '71 on the 'conventional' (IOW, non-inverted)
adapters were
fitted (check the catalogs)  ... again, you might be able to pick up a
used one.
Moss has their 'conventional' adapter on sale for $26.95 (a Moss
Distributor,
like Dick Burger, should be able to get you a further discount) until
November 1.

There have been several discussions on the list regarding, oil drain
back with
the inverted adapters and specific brands of filters so *beware*.

IMHO, I would go with a 'conventional' adapter ... it is similar in
appearance to
the cannister your are replacing ... in fact a gent on the list, sorry I
don't recall
the name, suggested that you paint the filter with your trusty can of
engine
paint ... great idea!

Hmmm ... maybe I will replace my 'inverted' adapter with the
'conventional'
adapter that Moss has on sell ... Dick what's the price on Moss Part
Number
235-940 "MGA and MGB Spin On Oil Filter Adapter"?

Safety Fast ... larry.g.unger@lmco.com