Console in my '68 MGB - Not original?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Console in my '68 MGB - Not original?
From: obertro@macatawa.org (robert clark)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 15:31:28 -0500 (EST)
a few days past bc@rosenet.net wrote:

I have a 1968 MGB but a console from another year. It has a ashtray directly
behind the gear shift. It has a glove box about 4.5 inches wide and 12" long.
I am not sure if it is from an MGB but probably is. Can anyone give me an clue
which year this might have orginated in?
thanks in advance

elaine

Aamco made a few different styles of aftermarket consoles, one of which
sounds like your description except the ashtray you mention was just a
dished out area.
mg didn't put a console in their b's until the 72 model year and continued
this unchanged until 80.  if you have a metal ashtray, you probably have a
later b console in your car.  just look in any later b to check it out.
ps.  "new" aftermarket consoles are available again thru moss, victoria,
CCC, seven enterprises, etc.  they fit early b's like yours plus midgets.

good luck

robert