Re: Near side and off side

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: Near side and off side
From: Dwade Clay Reinsch <dreinsch@tenet.edu>
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 17:43:44 -0600 (CST)
Sir:

Any southern boy would *know* that "off" and "near" refer to the positions
of the ox in a team from the drivers point of reference.  The oxen are
*always* hitched the into the same positions in the yoke.  Therefore in
Dixie, the "near" ox is on the left, so the team can drive on the right
and the driver walk or ride on the left, to facilitate passing other
teams.  God only knows what a Brit driving on the *wrong* side of the road
thinks is "off and near".

Yours, in my most humble opinion,

Dwade