AX, 44 degrees, top down, Yahoo !!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: AX, 44 degrees, top down, Yahoo !!
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 1996 20:47:29 -0500
Autocross today,  8am, 26d F, put the top up, 132 mile trip to Champaign, and
put the sticky tires and numbers on the car.

Really nifty AX course, hills & valleys, crowned street transitions, off
camber turns, diminishing radius turns, slalom down a crowned street.  Sun
was out, approaching 50d F, no wind, so put the top down and gab the helmet.

27 drivers in 10 classes, 5 runs each, and guess who brought home the Fast
Time of Day Indexed trophy?  Yup!  Little ole me in a 38 year old MG.
 Yahoooooo !!!!

Exactly one driver (in a V6 Pontiac Fiero) beat my scratch time for Fast Time
of Day, winning by 1.6 seconds, but being a C-Street Prepared class entry he
missed the index by more than 2 seconds.  Nearest index time was a G-stock
Toyota Celica Supra about a half second back.  Other notable victims falling
to the MGA today were an A-stock Corvette, two F-Stock Firebird, a C-Prepared
Camaro, a D-Prepared MG Midget, and a D-Street Prepared MG Midget, all beaten
on scratch times.

It must have been over 50d F and sunny at 3:45 pm, and in the proper mood it
felt like cruising weather to me.  So with the street tires back on the car,
I wore a hooded sweat shirt and a blast jacket and headed home with the top
down.  Half way home and getting dark, I stopped to add another jacket with a
hood and a pair of gloves, and continued on.  A few minutes after 6 pm I
arrived back in Naperville to check the thermometer -- 44d F and worth every
top down minute of it.

Too bad this had to be my last schedualed autocross of the season.  I do have
a TSD rally for next Sunday, but then the calender is bare.  Does anyone
within 300 miles of Chicago have another driving event schedualed this month?

Hot to travel,
Barney Gaylord
Naperville, Illinois
1958 MGA with an attitude !!