Re: autocross

To: homestay@infolearn.com.au
Subject: Re: autocross
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 00:52:35 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-03 23:03:10 EST, homestay@infolearn.com.au (Syl's
Sydney Homestay) writes:

<< ..... Seems to me that it is a pretty popular event with sufficient
competitors to support 'away' meetings.

 A few questions:

 1.      What sort of a turn out in terms of competitors would you normally
expect to get at a meeting?

 2.      Do they tend to be the same group at all meetings?

 3.      Are events held in collaboration with local car clubs which then act
as hosts for the meeting?

 I'm not so sure that similar events are so often run here although I stand
to be corrected by an informed local source. Given typical Australian
bureaucracy I can't see it being so easy to get a hold of a decent venue. >>

(1.)  Some clubs 15-20, other clubs may get well over 100 competitors ona
regular basis, depends on where you are.  Hard to justify the costs
(insurance) for less than a dozen, so as events need to gather a fair number
of people, the people may have to travel some distance to attend.  That may
be even more so where the population is sparse.

(2.)  Maybe a little less than half of the competitors show up for nearly all
of the events, others come occasionally, a few may be visitors from afar.  I
personally attend one club's events primarily, hardly ever miss an event, and
then I attend events of other clubs as time allows.  I think many other
people do about the same, although I probably do somewhat more visiting than
average.

(3.)  Yes.

Venue?  Hereabouts it's often damn difficult to find a site.  It's not easy
to find a large patch of good pavement, unencumbered on weekends, and either
free or cheap.  The larger the club is the less it has to be cheap, but there
are a lot of small to medium size clubs that have to be cost conscious.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA