Re: MGA Heater Cable Knobs

To: RatiganJ@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGA Heater Cable Knobs
From: BarneyMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 01:56:22 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-04 00:39:06 EST, RatiganJ@aol.com writes:

<< I purchased a new set of dash knobs for my 58 MGA.  They are very easy to
replace except for the "cable knobs" (e.g., starter, heater controls) which
are "attached" to the cables.  Does anyone know how these knobs are removed
and the new ones put on? >>

Well, I don't know exactly how it is supposed to be done, but I do know how I
did it.

The original knobs were moulded on.  Simple to get the old knob off.  The
squeeze of a large bench vice or a heavy hammer and anvil works wonders.  No
kidding!  But watch the fingers.

The new knob is obviously to be "glued" on.  Solicite here multiple choices
of adhesive.  The one I used at the time (10 years ago) was a 3-M structural
adhesive (don't recall the number) that was temperature cured, kept
refrigerated until use, heated to solidify.  I had a 4 ounce tube of this
stuff in my refrigerator for for at least 10 years, and it worked just fine.

I stood the knob on end (nose down), fixtured the cable into the knob with
locking pliers and some blocks of some sort to hold it straight up, squeezed
in a bit of the gooey stuff, warmed it in the kitchen oven at about 150d F
for a half hour, and let it cool.  10 years and 90,000 miles later the knobs
are still on there, I haven't been able to yank one off yet.

That adhesive was the kind you can use to fasten nearly any kind of metal or
plastics together so you couldn't break the joint with a Sherman tank.
 Unfortunately I think the tube was tossed out with the old fridge a few
years back, so I can no longer say just what it was.

On the other hand, I suppose a good hard setting 2-part epoxy should work
just as well, something somewhat heat resistant (in the sun you know), maybe
JB Weld would do the trick.

Barney Gaylord -- 1958 MGA