Re:MGB Timing

To: "\"Thomas James Pokrefke, III\"" <pokrefke@ocean.st.usm.edu>,
Subject: Re:MGB Timing
From: Larry Hoy <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 05 Nov 96 01:23:28 EST

This is an excerpt from John Twist, I have not tried it but if anyone knows
MG's it is Mr Twist. Thomas, I'm sure you will find TDC with this method.

JOHN TWIST WRITES:

   ENGINE:  Check the valve timing:  Set the #1 inlet valve to 0.055",not 0.013
(the correct
setting)(you noted .15 which is wrong by a
factor of two thousandths, or by a factor of
TEN).  Then roll the engine around until
that #1 inlet snags the piece of paper you are
sliding between the rocker and valve stem --
in other words, the rocker has made contact
with the valve stem.  The timing marks should
now sit EXACTLY at TDC.

END QUOTE

Thomas I re-read your original post.  You
should be looking for the timing marks on the
pully that is attached to your crank shaf on
the front of the engine.  You should be able
to see them from underneath your car (use jack
stands!).

Make sure once you determine TDC you mark it.

Larry
1969 MGB