Re: brake drag

To: glen@pegasus.unm.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: brake drag
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:05:19 -0800
At 02:19 PM 11/4/96 -0700, you wrote:

>looked glazed. i've also noticed that after i have beedn driving for a
>while that this drum does get much hotter than the other just by putting
>my finger against them both. so the shoes are definately dragging. i
>double checked the positioning of the springs. they seem ok. also, when i
>adjust the brakes, i turn the adjuster until the drum will not move, then
>i back it off two flats so the drum will turn with just a wee bit of
>drag. and no, the inside of the drum shows no sign of deep grooves or
>gouging. any ideas on this? what am i missing? should i back the adjuster
>off a few more turns? should i take some fine sandpaper and clean off the
>glazed portions on the shoes?

Glen,

As has been pointed out numerous times on this list, check your hoses.  The
inside of the flexible hoses can deteriorate and swell.  This decreases the
inside diameter of the hose and makes it act like a check valve; when the
pedal is depressed high pressure from the master cylinder forces fluid
through the restriction.  When the pedal is released the fluid is prevented
from returning and the wheel cylinder stays extended, the brakes remain in
partial contact with the drum and the result is heat, glazing and
"screech....screech......screech..."

These hoses aren't too expensive and should be changed regualrly evry few
years as a matter of course.

Good luck
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT