Solder joints

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Solder joints
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 13:33:12 -0600
Vince:

Your are correct about cold solder joints.  When correctly done, the solder
wicks up the wire and out onto the pad showing that the area was hot enough
to promote a bond.  If the solder looks like a little ball of snot, it si
cold and can corrode or break loose from the stuff it is supposed to hold
together.  The same look is sometimes caused by poor surface preparation-
ie- not enough flux.  Also, NEVER use acid based flux on electrical
connections.  They will fail for sure.  Use resin based flux only.

CEI, EID, whatever it takes.  Now that you mention it, I think that
everyone new that the EID was garbage and I had a choice between CEI or
Allison as replacements.  I chose the Allison because it was considerably
cheaper, easier to install, and carried a lifetime guarantee.  I believe
that the Crane system now available is the old Allison unit but I am not
sure.  It sure looks the same.

Well, now I should get some work done or I'll have to sell the "A" for
food.  Ah, the kids can beg!

Regards
Bill Eastman
61 MGA