RE: Speedo Accuracy (Was: Re: MGB Fire Sale!)

To: gumby <gumby@joshuanet.com>, howersl <howersl@ttown.apci.com>
Subject: RE: Speedo Accuracy (Was: Re: MGB Fire Sale!)
From: "REICHLE, CHRISTOPHER" <CREICHLE@nsc.msmail.miami.edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 14:46:00 -0800 (PST)
In overdrive on a B each 1000 rpm = 22.1 MPH so 3000 rpm would actually be
around 66 MPH
 ----------
From: mgs-owner
To: gumby; howersl
Cc: mgs
Subject: Speedo Accuracy (Was: Re: MGB Fire Sale!)
Date: Wednesday,November 06,1996 2:01PM

In a message dated 96-11-06 12:43:06 EST, gumby@joshuanet.com (Jim Boyd)
writes:

> I basically use the speedo to fill a hole in my dash!  I can figure that
>  based on the tach, if I'm at 3K, I'm going about 60mph and so on.  This
>  has worked and so far, no tickets to show!  If anything, I'd take my
>  speedo and has it rebuilt to the correct specs so I'd know what I have!

My non O/D B runs at about 3250 RPM at 60 mph. I used this tactic on my
Subaru, which for a while had a speedometer that read progressively faster
as
it warmed up. It must have been a self-healeying speedo because one day,
when
it said 72 and I thought the tach was saying 60 (the road was bumpy, okay?)
the police radar also said 72. Fortunately the cop took pity on the guy
driving the trashed-out Subaru and wrote the ticket for 66. In a car you're
probably going to _drive_, I'd make sure the speedo was +/- 5% at 60 mph.

Cheers,

Jim
72B