One more question for the MGA guys

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: One more question for the MGA guys
From: HARTLEY_MC@Mercer.PeachNet.EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 1996 19:59:01 -0400 (EDT)
Hey Folks,

One more question for the MGA experts:

I've spoken with a man that has a 1959 MGA 1500.  The car has "little"
rust.  He says the rocker panels are a little rusty, but the floor of
the trunk is good, the wheel wells are good, and the seems show no rust.
The engine was rebuilt in '87, but I forgot toask how many miles it has
since it was rebuilt.  The carbs were rebuilt a couple of years ago.  It
has tons of paint and needs a new paint job.  The grille is original,
but slightly bent.  The seats have been reupholstered.  The real kicker
is that the clutch needs to be replaced.  I know that entails pulling
the engine and the tranny, but how much else is involved?  What kind of
cost would I be looking at?  It also has wire wheels.

The man said that he has driven it, and the engine runs well, but
because of the clutch problem, he has only driven it down his road in
first gear.  He says that he has started it in all gears while on jack
stands, and the tranny sounds good.

All in all, how is a $3000 price tag on this car and how much would it
take to replace the clutch?

Mike Hartley
hartley_mc@mercer.peachnet.edu

Date sent:  15-NOV-1996 19:37:32