MGA suggestions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGA suggestions
From: William Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 10:30:59 -0600
Keith and others:

Thank you for complimenting me on my knowledge.  I enjoy the opportunity to
share my thoughts and opinions with others who have the same interests.

Concerning my MGA "expertise,"  I should mention that I have only owned an
MGA for about 1 month and most of that time, it has been in storage.  In
fact, other than driving it home from Iowa (every state has a neighbor that
they make fun of and  Iowa is the butt of many Minnesota jokes so it is
tough for me to even type the word without adding a zinger or two but I
digress), I have only put 25 miles on the car.

I have spent a good portion of my life, chasing interesting cars and have
even actually bought a few.  Also, having no social life, I spend a lot of
time reading about my hobby.  Ask my wife, I am addicted to cars.  But most
of us on this list could probably make that claim.

Has all of this experience and knowledge helped me?  Not a bit, I still end
up with Alfa's that sag if you open both doors, MGB's with bad splines and
cracked heads, and MGA's where the doors don't fit.  I buy on emotion and
usually this means that I forget three quarters of what I know just because
"I have to have that car."

If you too want to add to the amount of knowledge that you ignore the next
time you buy an LBC, I recommend reading everything that you can get your
hands on.  In particular, I recommend Lindsay Porter's DIY restoration
series.  I have read both the Spitfire and MGB versions and they are
fantastic book, IMHO.  I have also read a lot of the "buyers guide" series
and they are a good place to start although the detail on a specific model
is usually pretty shallow.  Green's boot on MGA restoration has good
pre-purchase suggestions but is not of the same quality as Porter's books.

Where do I get all of these?  Every August, Classic Motorbooks in Oscela,
Wisconson has a big car show, airplane show, and book sale.  They have 10%
off all books plus they have a tent where they sell return and slightly
damaged (dust cover ripped, binding bent) books for half price.

In the last two years, I have bought about 200.00 worth of books there at
half price.  It's a great way to justify buying a book that you are
interested in but don't really need.  If anyone is looking for a road trip,
this would be an excellent choice.  I think there were about 50 MG's there
last year.

Regards
Bill Eastman