Re: Midget 1275 idling behaviour

To: Eric Bartels <bartels@maths.ox.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Midget 1275 idling behaviour
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 1996 23:19:54 -0800 (PST)
On Sun, 17 Nov 1996, Eric Bartels wrote:
> She usually starts (choke fully pulled) at the second attempt. The idling
> speed is around 1000-1100 according to the tachometer. After a couple of
> minutes on the road I can usually push the choke somewhat in and te rpms
> drop to about 900 or even lower.
> But after some time on the motorway when the engine has been running on
> mid temperature (and usually the first time when I come down to idling
> speed again in the next village), the idle rpms are around 1400-1500
> (with the choke fully pushed in).

Eric,
on the SUs, mixture enrichment and fast idle are adjustable independently.
So you should run your car until the engine is completely warm, then
adjust the regular idle to spec.
Next time the engine is cold, you can adjust fast idle relative to choke
mixture so that the engine idles at an acceptabel speed when the choke is
completely pulled with a cold engine.

                                                           '67 Sprite