MKI and 5-bearing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MKI and 5-bearing
From: Jim Bradley <jbradley@sun.lssu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:58:37 -0500 (EST)
96-11-18  21:48 >>> wrote:

>The engine will be going in a MKI ('62) MGB and I want to use the
>3-synchro gearbox, because I do not want to make any modifications to
>the body to get the
>4-synchro to fit.

>Has anybody successfully fitted a 5-main engine to a 3-synchro
>gearbox ?

Gerry,

I think the MG factory did that very succesfully! After '64 all MK1 (if you
want to call them so) MGB were fitted with a 5 main bearing engine (18
GB onwards). The four synchro box only came in late '67 with the
introduction of the 18 GD - engine.

The difference is the spigot end for 3-main and 5- main engines. Sorry,
but I don't know the tecnicalities here to solve that.

Bert Otten
'66 B (5-main, 3 synchro)

P.S. You're right, the non-synchro on first gear is hardly an ommission. I
usually don't shift down to first gear anyway.

The question still remains - can you fit a late model starter to the 5main
engine coupled to a non-syncro transmission?
 Another conversion I have interest in is: putting a MGB lucas alternator on
an early engine. I have mounted it successfully - it fits perfectly but
there is a need for suitable rear bracket. Is one available or has anyone
made one?

jbradley 66B