MGB Rear Spring Replacement

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB Rear Spring Replacement
From: JKearman@aol.com
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 1996 08:58:27 -0500
Arrrgh. The roads around here are rough. Saturday morning I broke the main
leaf on my left rear spring (72 B). Without realizing the spring was broken I
cruised the next 10 miles or so of smoother road, at up to 75 mph. Finally I
started hearing the tire rubbing, as the axle had shifted back an inch or so.

By taking slow right turns I managed to limp it to BMC Originals in
Colebrook, CT, where a parts car or two may be found. With help from Glenn
(cutting torch and sage advice) and Joelle (tea, brownies and moral support)
I was able to replace the spring.

If you have to do this, you'll probably find the forward fixing bolt is
seized to the collar inside the bushing. Glenn cut the entire shackle off the
parts car, and cut the bolt in mine, a tricky job! The bolt is 7/16 diam.

Reassembly got me into trouble, as there was a wider gap between the axle and
the spring than could be spanned by the U bolts. You have to put blocks
between the spring and the body and jack up the spring. I guess you could
also disconnect the axle support strap, but then you have to contend with the
weight of the axle. Working in a progressively muddy field (nice temperature
to work in until the ground thawed), I had enough trouble keeping the jack
stands from sinking!

A friend at work bought the restored 67 B that BMC had posted here a few
weeks ago. I'm really jealous. It looks like a new car. Too bad he plans to
take it back to France!

Cheers,

Jim