Re: TD oil pressure

To: mgs@autox.team.net, B.Hoxie@worldnet.att.net
Subject: Re: TD oil pressure
From: jurrasm@genesis.torrco.com (Mark Jurras)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 08:03:43 -0500

> Consumer Reports completed a test of the brand name oils a few months ago.
> The test consisted of evaluating engine wear in NYC taxis for an extended
> period of time; I believe it was 6 or 12 months.  They found NO DIFFERENCE
> in engine wear amongst the 8 or so brands tested.  Their recommendation was
> buy on price basis as long as it meets SAE specs.

The only flaw with this test is that taxi's don't get shut off as often
for the same milage as our cars. With the engine running they always
have good oil flow. When the car is shut off the oil drains back to the
pan leaving only a very thin film for then next start up. Starting is
when most wear occurs.

Oils today are far superior that the oils available in the '60's. Change it
every 3-5k mi. So the sludge won't build up and you'll be fine.

- -Mark   = =o&o