Short Drive Shaft

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Short Drive Shaft
From: reckard@gte.com (Richard Eckard)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:56:27 -0400
Hi,

        I've been listening to the list for a while and picking up valuable
tips for my '76 Midget.  Now I have a problem I haven't seen before and
need some specific advice.  Last week the front of the drive shaft dropped
off the transmission main shaft while I was driving to work.  After
removing the drive shaft, it appeared that all I needed was a new front
flange - the splines in the old one were pretty beat up after their
encounter with the transmission shaft.  Last night my son and I attempted
to reassemble the drive shaft to the new front and rear flanges only to
find out the when the front flange in completely on the transmission shaft
there is a gap of about 3/4" between the drive shaft mounting face and the
flange.  We cleaned up the splines in the old flange and tried it only to
find the same result.  If everything is bolted together tightly and the
rear flange is full on its shaft, the splines on the front flange are
barely on the transmission shaft splines (the nut holding the flange on
could not be more than 1 or 2 turns on the shaft.  I've owned the car for
18 years and have never had this area apart before so I'm not sure if this
is normal, but I'm sure it's been like this all that time.  Where do I go
from here?  I thought of loosening the rear flange enough to get a
comfortable overlap on the front and then using the bolts holding the drive
shaft to the flanges to put pressure on the flange nuts to keep them tight,
but this seems like such a kludge.  I pretty much stumped and need some
help.

Thanks in advance,

Dick Eckard
'76 Midget

Richard Eckard

GTE Laboratories, Inc.                  email:  reckard@gte.com
Network Infrastructure Laboratory       voice:  (617) 466-2780
40 Sylvan Road                          fax:    (617) 466-2374
Waltham, MA 02254

Any technology which is distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
advanced.