Re: Electronic Ignition Module for 1500

To: tboicey@isocan.com, mgs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electronic Ignition Module for 1500
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:23:32 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-21 21:12:13 EST, tboicey@isocan.com (Trevor Boicey)
writes:

>    Does anyone have a spare Electronic Ignition module for
>  the Midget 1500 (Triumph engine)?
>
>    Or any words of wisdom to add about choosing one? I'm
>  looking at the Crane for now.
>
>    I have the original Electronic one, but it's intermittent,
>  so I am running a points distributor temporarily.

I assume you a referring to the unit mounted on the cowell next to the brake
mc.  These are not too bad, really.  The older units integral  with the
distributor were junk.
I have been using the original original cowell mounted unit on my 79 Spit
with no problem.  I also installed same on a 59 Bugeye 1098 series A motor.
 Really improved performance.  If you are having an  intermittent problem,
check the ground.  The hold-down screws function as the ground.  If these are
corroded they could create a problem.  Replace the scres or clean with a
little Moosehead and wire brush and reattach.

BTW, I carry a spare unit in the car, just in case.  I pick them up for
little or nothing when I come across them on junk cars.  There seems to be
plenty around.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Brian N

79 Spit