Variations in Enthusiasm

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Variations in Enthusiasm
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 1996 11:29:28 -0800
Hey List:

As I have confessed before, I have owned tons of MGBs over the years.
As of today I own 5 MGBS, one '61 Austin Mini and a '69 Austin America.
I am picking up a '76 B Roadster next week and a long sought after '73
TR6.  Do I qualify as an "enthusiast"?

Up until about 4 months ago (got a new job!), I had been under employed
and was virtually doing nothing with my cars except drive them when I
was depressed with job hunting!  Now money is flowing again!  YES!!

A friend and I started the Chico Area British Car Club about 4 years
ago.  We have about 135 households as members and are a very active
club.  After a couple years of attending every single event and trying
to organize this rowdy "enthusiastic" group, we got some folks to
volunteer their time to the club.   That helped a lot!  We have several
members that always attend meetings and events, but their car is sadly
more of a parts car than anything else.  So they drive their Supras or
Accords on club events and autocrosses and seem to have a lot of fun!

As a 42 year old guy, I have come to realize over time that it isn't
right for me to put people into a box and determine what they should or
shouldn't be involved in.  This attitude has helped me to relax (I can
always find stress somewhere if I need it!).  Certainly there have been
times that I've felt that club members have missed out on a lot of fun
and fellowship with other members of the group, but that is their own
decision.  Now I focus on personally having fun at well organized events
that meet most of the needs that our members have expressed.

This attitude makes the affiliation with LBCs and their owners MUCH MORE
enjoyable for me!!  We are all enthusiasts in one way or another.

Cheers,
Jim
Paradise, CA