Re: !RUST! No LBC Content But Please Help Me!

To: jblair@exis.net (John T. Blair)
Subject: Re: !RUST! No LBC Content But Please Help Me!
From: Jay Quinn <jpquinn@cyberramp.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 23:32:20 -0600
Comments spliced in below..

At 11:49 PM 11/27/96 -0500, John T. Blair wrote:
>At 09:53 PM 11/27/96 -0600, Jay Quinn wrote:
>
>> Well, my wife just bought a used  '94 Honda Accord EX model with
>> 21K miles. I just drove it around and really like it.....
>
>> After I drove it and parked in the garage, I took a trouble light
>> and crawled under the car and.......Guess what I discovered?
>>
>>RUST!

>> The majority of the rust is around the backs of the
>> wheels/suspension areas as well as the exhaust system.
>> How in the hell do I get rid of the stuff?
>>
>> What Can I possible do to stop the rust problem?
>>
>> Can I squirt something on it, scrub and blast it off with?
>>
>> I ask here because I know guys and gals out here restore old cars
>> that have rust in various stages and have combated this problem.
>>
>>Please help me!
>>

>Jay,
>
>  I guess the 1st question to you is, how much work do you want to
>do to stop the rust?  This will determine the best way to solve the
>problem.  But let me give you several options.
>
>1.  The best would be to disassembly the rear suspension.  Get a

Yikes!  Very expensive and time consuming and will keep the car out of
comission not to mention, the wife wont let me do something like that to her
new car.

>    4" grinder and put a course knotted wire wheel on it and grind
>    out the rust on the body panels.

It's not in the body panels, it's on all exposed unbody heavy duty metal
parts.  Around the backs of the wheels.

>    Likewise grind all the pieces of the suspension to remove the
>    rust.
>

>    Then treat the parts (more later).
>
>2.  Again disassembly the rear suspension.  Then you could purchase
>    or rent a pressure (sand) blaster, assuming that you have at
>    least a 5hp 20gal air compressor.  This will make a mell of a
>    hess.  But it will cut into the rust and really clean it up.

I can get a sand blaster that I can glass bead the stuff while still in place.

>    Small suspension parts can also be blasted.  (Don't try to
>    blast any parts with bearings, ie. the rear axle trunion.
>
>    Then treat the parts.
>
>3.  If you aren't into that much work simply spray everything
>    with rustoleium.  This isn't as good and it won't really stop
>    the rust.
>
>4.  For really bad areas on the body, you will have to cut the
>    affected area out and weld in a new one.  For suspension parts,
>    if you think they have been weakend then replace them.
>
>Treating the metal parts.
>
>1.  After a part or body area has been degreased, blasted or ground
>    with a wire wheel, you can etch the metal with a metal
>    conditioner.  Ospho is one brand name.  Basically, all it is, is
>    fosphoric acid.  This will kill any remaining rust.
>
>2.  Next paint the part/area.  If you really want to do the job
>    right, I'd use POR-15 or Corrlas (sp).  These are polyeurathane
>    paints with rust inhibitors in them.  They can be put over rust.
>    However, the less rust the better.  These paints are expensive,
>    about $30 / qt.
>
>    You could use RustOleium or DeRusto.  These are a lot cheaper
>    but they don't give as much protection.
>
>You might also want to check out the Morgan Web page at:
>
>http://www.team.net/www/morgan
>
>There is an article on Rust and another one on painting and body
>work under the restoration section.
>
>Hope this helps.

It looks liek the process is going to have to be:

1.  Hit the metal parts with a rust stopper/remover.

2.  Then hit with different shaped wire wheels to get at everything I can.

3.  Blast clean with a detergent.

4.  Reapply the rust stopper/remover coating like stuff.

5.  Pray this is good enough to hold up for the next 12 years.

--
Jay Quinn                             '62 Austin-Healey MKII Sprite
Systems Engineer