Re: concensus

To: Steve Krane <skrane@msn.com>
Subject: Re: concensus
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 09:09:52 -0600
Steve Krane wrote:

> Would like feelings about the following for a 72 mgb:
>         webers vs standard su's
>         shocks to keep that MB feeling but improve (cushion) the ride a
>little - it's
> been 27 years since my last mg and it wouldn't hurt my back to have a slightly
> forgiving ride.

Before the purists check in, I like the DGV (downdraft) Weber. It's not a big
performance
boast but, when properly set up, it is very driveable. A side-draft Weber has a
personality and will never pass idle emissions. But it's a cool racers carb
and, after
being set up, is very durable and the settings do not drift.

I think the rough ride may have more to do with the leaf springs in the rear
than the
standard lever shocks. But I have no expertise here. I do know that new leaf
springs are
very stiff until they bed in. If someone went to the trouble of adding a
slippery material
between the leaves, wouldn't that lessen the spring friction? I also wish
someone would
check in on results with the single plastic rear leaf I've heard about.

Bob Allen, Kansas City, '69MGC/GT (w/3 Weber 40 DCOEs)
and ex owner of '67 B/GT with Weber DGV
and ex owner of '74 Midget with old and finicky SUs
and, ah, hell with it...