Re: fuel pumps

To: 73532.746@compuserve.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: fuel pumps
From: OSCALETA99@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 1996 04:14:54 -0500
Tony wrote
qte
I think I have a bad fuel pump. The car fires up just fine, runs for about
1-2
minutes
and then sputters, backfires, and then dies. I turn the key back over, hear
the
fuel
pump kick in, then the bloddy thing runs for 1-2 minutes again. Does this
sound
like the pump? I have a '68 B Roadster and am wondering if there is a good
aftermarket
pump I could put in its place? Are there any special fittings I need.
unq

Certainly sounds like fuel pump - have had similar situation twice - even
driven 15 odd miles stopping every few minutes with one (a real pain.....)if
it proves to be the cause
I suggest that this is one item where going for original equipment is a huge
mistake.

I purchased an OE SU pump last March from Moss - it was about $200 as i
recall
it was easy enough to fit using a friends lift and it ran without problem....
until July! - I had the 15 mile run mentioned above, transit time 3 hours....

I had my friend (a pro) look it over, it needed overhauling he said!!!! - i
called Moss and in all fairness they replaced it and i had my friend install
it (in case a mechanic can do it better than a commodity trader) It ran
really well......
until August - .....

My friend "junked" the bloody thing and fitted a $40 Mazda pump -It ran weel,
It runs well....

SU should have stuck to carbs!!!!

mike robson
69 roadster