Re: HS-6 manifold

To: Gombos@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: HS-6 manifold
From: "Jerry Causey" <reecau@whidbey.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 21:26:30 +0800
I've heard that if you enlarge the inlets, you can just use your HS-4
manifold, though only a couple of the 4 bolt holes on the HS-6s match
up. I bought a JanSpeed manifold from Seven Enterprises in '92 for
US$215. part #SIE0361. I also rebuilt the ex-Volvo SUs and replaced
the needles with SY, no part #,  and used blue springs, part
#AUC4587. I was never able to find the proper throttle linkage, and
had to cobble one up from my HS-4 linkage and other odd bits. I
bridged between the carbs with a piece of aluminum (my spell checker
keeps insisting this is spelled 'aluminium' for some reason) angle (held by a
screw on each carb top), and fed my choke cable from the top through
a hole in the angle to my old choke linkage, discarding the brace
used with the HS-4s. You will also need to fabricate a new heat
shield. I used an aluminum cookie sheet with most of an old ('70s) Honda
Civic heat shield cut to fit and pop riveted to the engine side.
Filters are readily available, but be sure to use K&N stub stacks
inside, or you will loose most of the 4 or 5 HP you gain from the
bigger carbs. If you smooth your combustion chambers and do even a
little bit of port matching the difference will be quite noticeable.

Regards,
Jerry Causey