Ode to LBCs

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Ode to LBCs
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 96 16:03:52 GMT
The Rolling English Rode by John Collins, from "This England" Winter
1996.

Before Toyota traded here, or Datsun dealt at Deal,
The trusty English craftsman produced vehicles with appeal.
Cars were crammed with character, and had familiar names,
A trip in each and every one was full of fun and games.
The working man might own a Ford, and smoke an old clay pipe,
The Prime Minister puffed Havanas in a Humber Super Snipe.

Renault, Citroen and Peugot were seldon ever seen;
But the merry, mighty Morris was on every village green.
Sunbeams shone throughout the land, a Singer for the squire,
And to own a Hillman Hunter was a dream in every shire.
The young man raced his MG"T", and thought himself in clover,
Father preferred the comfort of a stable, steady Rover.

Jaguar was not a cat, Triumph not a win,
Bristol not a city for the people to live in.
Wolseley was not a cardinal, AC not a volt,
Riley was not "actually" mis-spoken by some dolt!
The poor man drank his daily pint, and kept his Austin clean;
The priviledged sipped "Sidecars" in a Daimler limousine.

Times do change, and with them cars, in keeping with the trends,
Now, our European "partners" promote the Mercedes Benz.
When we might have bought an Aston Martin, Bentley or a Rolls;
Or, instead of a small Vauxhall, a Fiat made by Poles.
The times they may get better the times they may get worse,
Before we go to paradise in a Honda mini-hearse!

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)