Re: Floor and sill replacement

To: ps4330@okc01.rb.jccbi.gov, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Floor and sill replacement
From: Paul Hunt <on76@dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 96 14:58:20 GMT
>I am in the process of replacing the left side floor and sills on my
>MGB and I have some questions about how the floor goes in relative
>to the other pieces.

>Does the flange on the inner sill go under the floor or on top of
>it?

Originally I think that floors had no flanges and fitted between the
castle rail and the inner sill.  My replacement floor had a flange on
both sides, but because I was able to remove all the old floor from
between the castle rail and the sill (both previously replaced) I cut
the sill-side flange off to fit the new floor between them.

>When I cut the old floor out, should I cut right up to the
>transmission tunnel and then weld the up turned edge of the new
>floor to the side of the tunnel, or should I leave an inch or so of
>the old floor sticking out along the edge of the tunnel and set the
>new floor on top of that?

The inner half of my original floor was perfectly sound so I only
replaced as far as the chassis rail.  You should be able to see how
far to cut by looking at the original to see whether the floor or the
tunnel had the flange, I think it's the tunnel.  It seems repair
panels have flanges to give the opportunity to weld to sound metal
if the edge of the panel being welded to is itself corroded.

PaulH
73 Roadster (HD&H)
75 V8 (DD)